Newcomer Guide

New to Hoke County? Welcome Home!
Hoke County is a wonderful place to live, work and play! If you are new to the area, the following information may help you become established in your new community. As new residents move into Hoke County, they need information about government agencies, public utilities and community services. This section highlights services that may be useful for newcomers.

County Government Hours

Most Hoke County government agencies are open Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Some agencies, however, have additional hours on evenings and weekends. Because some processes may take extended periods of time, Hoke County encourages customers to plan ahead and arrive as early as possible to conduct your business in a timely manner. When in doubt about specific agency hours, please call the agency before you visit it (Contact Numbers). Here are Directions to County Facilities. View the County Holidays.

Parents should enroll school-age children as soon as they arrive in Hoke County. Register your child at the school he or she will attend. To determine the appropriate school(s), call 910-875-4106 or visit the Hoke County Schools website.

To determine specific requirements, please call the school(s) designated for your child(ren) before visiting.

Department of Motor Vehicles
New drivers in the state must have a North Carolina Driver's License no later than 60 days of the date of permanent residency. 

For active duty military: if your home of record is not North Carolina, you may continue to use your out of state Driver's License. If your home of record is in North Carolina, you will need to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License.

For additional information, call the Department of Motor Vehicles at 919-715-7000, or visit their website.

Sheriff's Department

In an EMERGENCY, dial 911 for Sheriff's Department services.
In non-emergency situations, the Sheriff's Department is located at 429 East Central Avenuenue in Raeford, 910-875-5111.

The Neighborhood Watch program is also highly active throughout the County. If you are interested in joining Neighborhood Watch, call Crime Prevention at 910-875-5111.

Fire and Rescue Services

For fire or emergency medical services, call 911.

To contact the Department of Emergency Services for non-emergency services, please call 910-875-4126.

Commuter Transportation
HATS – The Hoke Area Transit Service (HATS) operates on weekdays within the County, as well as surrounding areas. For information and reservations, call HATS at 910-875-8696. Reservations must be made at least one day prior to appointment.

For more information on commuting, visit our HATS page

Refuse Disposal
Residential and commercial trash pick-up is available to citizens of Hoke County by way of independent haulers licensed by the County. Their phone numbers can be located in the Yellow Pages under Garbage Collection, or by calling the Hoke County Transfer Station at 910-875-3111.

Another option is the use of County-owned and operated convenience sites. Only county residents (who pay the annual solid waste and disposal fee) are authorized to use any of these five sites. Commercial, business or non-profit generators of waste must contract with the independent haulers or bring their waste to the Transfer Station and pay a tipping fee.

Use of the convenience sites requires having a Solid Waste Disposal Sticker displayed on your vehicle. Stickers can be obtained from the receptionist at the Pratt Building, located at 227 N. Main Street in Raeford. Proof of residency is required.

Learn more about Hoke County Solid Waste programs and fees.

Parks, Recreation & Leisure
The Department of Parks and Recreation provides a range of traditional recreational facilities from neighborhood parks, playgrounds and ball fields, picnic pavilions, and open space.

These parks offer activities, programs and special events for all ages, day camps for children, working adults and senior citizens. All persons, including those with special needs or disabilities are encouraged to enjoy the parks.

To learn more about our facilities and programs, visit our Department of Parks and Recreation.

Library System
The Hoke County Public Library is part of the Sandhill Regional Library System which is comprised of the five (5) counties of Hoke, Anson, Montgomery, Moore, and Richmond.

For more information, visit the Hoke County Library page.

Senior Living 

Services & Utilities Available in Your Area

Power Companies
Progress Energy800-452-2777
Lumbee River910-843-4131

Utilities / Sewer
Hoke County Public Works910-875-6704
Hillcrest-Scurlock Water System910-875-7942
North West Water Supply910-875-4412

Voter Information

If you are new to our community, you will need to change your address on your voter registration. Visit the Basics of Voting and Elections website for more information.